I teach a range of topics in the fields of English Language and Linguistics. I have been nominated for two teaching awards at the Aston Students’ Union Academic Awards (2021), in the categories ‘online learning’ and ‘teaching – engagement’.
Aston University (2020-)
I am a Lecturer in English Language at the School of Social Sciences and Humanities at Aston University. Currently I teach:
LE1104 Practical Applications of Language Description
LE2101 Crime Fiction
LE2118 Advanced Topics in Sociolinguistics
LE2120 Language in the News Media
LE3029 Multimodal Analysis
LEM100 Analysing Discourse
I currently co-supervise two PhD students:
- Polina Gavin (lead supervisor: Dr Marcello Giovanelli)
- Chris Walker (lead supervisor: Dr Marcello Giovanelli)
In addition, I am an external co-supervisor for the following PhD students:
- Amina Abbas (University of Limerick; lead supervisor: Dr Catherine Martin)
- Hadjar Hadj-Abdelkader (University of Limerick; lead supervisor: Dr Catherine Martin)
- Zahira Hammadi (University of Limerick; lead supervisor: Dr Bróna Murphy)
- Ikram Messaoudi (University of Limerick; lead supervisor: Dr Catherine Martin)
- Darren Perrett (University of Leeds; lead supervisor: Dr Matt Homer)
University of Leeds (2018-2020)
I was a Research Fellow in Applied and Corpus Linguistics at the School of Education, University of Leeds. I taught on modules on English language description for TESOL (level 4), analysing language (level 7), corpus linguistics in the classroom (level 7) and investigating language for TESOL (level 7).
Lancaster University (2014-2017)
I was an Associate Lecturer at the Department of Linguistics and English Language, Lancaster University. I led seminars on undergraduate modules on linguistics, linguistic typology, corpus-based English language studies and a postgraduate research methods in corpus linguistics module.