Aston University (2020-)
I am a Lecturer in English Language at the School of Social Sciences and Humanities at Aston University. I teach a range of topics in the fields of English Language and Linguistics. As of 2022-23, I convene the following modules:
LE2120 Language in the News Media
LE3115 Multimodal Analysis
LE3120 English Dissertation
LE3123 Digital Approaches to Analysing Texts
I also supervise undergraduate students on our dissertation modules and integrated placement year.
I have previously taught on the following modules:
LE1104 Practical Applications of Language Description
LE2101 Crime Fiction
LE2118 Advanced Topics in Sociolinguistics
LEM100 Analysing Discourse
LEM102 Dissertation (MA Forensic Linguistics)
LEM133 Multimodal Analysis (MA TESOL)
At Aston, I currently co-supervise the following PhD students:
- Lily Calloway: Designing a methodology for the analysis of short-form messages in encouraged suicide cases using appraisal theory
- Polina Gavin: A cognitive poetic account of ekphrasis in fiction
- Caroline Godfrey: A genealogy of metaphors for the English curriculum: exploring the ontology of subject English
- Chris Walker: Investigating the use of stylistics to improve engagement and attainment in poetry in KS3 English students
In addition, I am an external associate supervisor of the following PhD students:
- Amina Abbas (University of Limerick): Teachers’ beliefs towards the use of translanguaging pedagogies in the Algerian EFL classrooms: the case of middle schools
- Hadjar Hadj-Abdelkader (University of Limerick): Teaching English for Military Purposes within the Algerian EMI context
- Zahira Hammadi (University of Limerick): Investigating the effectiveness of using YouTube videos in teaching vocabulary to EFL students
- Ikram Messaoudi (University of Limerick): Investigating students’ difficulties in writing their thesis and the role of supervisor feedback: the case of Algerian university Master’s students
- Darren Perrett (University of Leeds): The criterial features of the Cambridge Assessment English reading item bank
I have been nominated for four teaching awards at the Aston Students’ Union Academic Awards, in the categories ‘online learning’ (2021), ‘research or dissertation supervisor’ (2022) and ‘teaching – engagement’ (2021, 2022). I was the winner of the ‘research or dissertation supervisor’ award in 2022.
University of Leeds (2018-2020)
I was a Research Fellow in Applied and Corpus Linguistics at the School of Education, University of Leeds. I taught on modules on English language description for TESOL (level 4), analysing language (level 7), corpus linguistics in the classroom (level 7) and investigating language for TESOL (level 7).
Lancaster University (2014-2017)
I was an Associate Lecturer at the Department of Linguistics and English Language, Lancaster University. I led seminars on undergraduate modules on linguistics, linguistic typology, corpus-based English language studies and a postgraduate research methods in corpus linguistics module.