I am a Lecturer in English Language at Aston University, UK. I am a corpus-based applied linguist, having received my training in corpus linguistics from Lancaster University, culminating in the award of my PhD in 2018. My research interests include:
- corpus construction
- spoken grammar and discourse
- language change
- language in the news media
- the role of language research in TESOL
- language in mainstream education
I have published papers and given talks at conferences on these topics. My research also informs my teaching, which covers a range of topics in English Language, Linguistics and English Literature. I also hold the following academic roles:
- Communications Officer, BAAL Corpus Linguistics Special Interest Group committee (2020-2023).
- Staff representative of the College of Business and Social Sciences on the University Senate at Aston University (2020-)
- Exams representative for the Department of English at Aston University (2020-)
- Marketing and outreach coordinator for the Department of English at Aston University (2020-)
- Fixed-term staff representative on the Research and Innovation committee at the School of Education at the University of Leeds (2018-2020)
- I am regularly invited to review submissions to journals relevant to my research interests. To date, these have included: Ampersand (Elsevier), Applied Linguistics (Oxford University Press), Corpora (Edinburgh University Press), Digital Scholarship in the Humanities (Oxford University Press), Discourse and Communication (SAGE Publications), Discourse Studies (SAGE Publications), International Journal of Corpus Linguistics (John Benjamins), Journal of Corpora and Discourse Studies (Cardiff University Press), Journal of Open Humanities Data (Ubiquity Press), Language Resources and Evaluation (Springer) and Text & Talk (De Gruyter).
- I have served on the scientific committee for the American Association for Corpus Linguistics (AACL) conference (2018, 2020), the International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English (ICAME) conference (2019, 2020) and the Inter-Varietal Applied Corpus Studies (IVACS) conference (2020).
- Co-editor of Volume 22(3) of the International Journal of Corpus Linguistics (2017).
- Series Editor for the CASS Briefings series at Lancaster University (2015-2017).
- Co-organiser of the Research Roundup seminar series at Cambridge Assessment English, University of Cambridge (2017-2018).
- Organiser of the Spoken BNC2014 Symposium at Lancaster University (2017).
- Co-organiser of the UCREL Corpus Research Seminar series at Lancaster University (2014-2015).
- Since 2020 I have run the Twitter account for the Department of English at Aston University.
- Since 2016 I have run the Twitter account for the British National Corpus 2014 project.
- From 2018-2020 I ran the Twitter account for the Centre for Language Education Research (CLER) at the University of Leeds.
- From 2014-2017 I ran the Twitter account for the journal Corpora.
- British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL) (2017-).
- International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) (2019-2020).